NTSWA Household Hazardous Waste Recycling

NTSWA addresses several wastes considered to be hazardous, however, because they are in small quantities and generated by homeowners, they are considered a part of the municipal waste stream or deemed "household hazardous waste" (HHW). Automotive wastes like used oil, antifreeze and lead acid car batteries are diverted from landfill disposal and sent for reclamation or recycling. Useable latex paint products are also diverted to a Paint Exchange Program for residents. Used motor oil, antifreeze, lead acid car batteries and useable latex paint are accepted year round free of charge at our Recycling Processing Facilities.

Other Household Hazardous Wastes, such as pesticides, herbicides, oil-based paint and miscellaneous household chemicals are accepted at our annual Household Hazardous Waste Collection Event. This event usually takes place in June and is advertised in the local newspapers. This event is for residents only and ALL residents must register for the event.

Other options for disposal are as follows:

HHW Contact
Commercial Florescent Light Bulbs AERC Recycling (610)797-7608 / Safety Kleen (800)669-5740
Mercury Thermostats

Refer to Thermostat Recycling Corporation

Residents, Local School Districts and Non-Profits contact Pa Department of Environmental Protection Representative, Tom Mears (570)327-3722 or tmears@pa.gov 

Appliance containing Freon These appliances are accepted at our NTSWA Recycling Facilities and a $5.00 fee applies for Freon removal.

Please contact NTSWA for proper disposal methods of any household hazardous wastes as these wastes are handled on a case-by-case basis.

NTSWA does not accept hazardous wastes from industry for disposal.